“Our objective is to support the highest quality, safest, and most efficient clinical care for our patients. In the process, our systems integration and standardization will provide more and better information for not only patient care, but for research, teaching and for supporting the work we do to keep our communities healthy and thriving.”
–- O’Neil Britton, MD, Chief Health Information Officer, Partners HealthCare, and Executive Director, Partners eCare.
About Partners eCare
Through its strategic initiatives, Partners HealthCare is redesigning care delivery to improve the health of our patients while reducing the cost of care. Achieving these goals requires a level of coordination and standardization across Partners that cannot be supported by disparate information systems.
In July 2012, Partners HealthCare announced it would partner with Epic, the industry-leading provider of health information technology to develop and implement an integrated, electronic health information system at all institutions across the Partners network by 2017. This initiative is well underway, with initial implementation of administrative applications complete at Massachusetts General Hospital and Newton-Wellesley Hospital. An aggressive implementation schedule of both clinical and administrative applications begins at these and other Partners HealthCare institutions in early 2015.
The Partners eCare guiding principle is “one patient, one record, one team, one Partners statement” enabling a seamless flow of clinical and administrative information about a patient anywhere within the Partners system. The goal is to improve coordination, reduce duplication of care, avoid unnecessary tests, and support our nation’s urgent healthcare quality and cost imperatives.
At its core, the patient:
- Online services and tools will enable our patients to manage their own health in the way they value, centered on their needs.
- Shared knowledge across Partners will provide our researchers with vast opportunities to analyze, study and discover.
- Consistent data will enable more coordinated care for individuals and populations contributing to enhanced healthcare affordability.
- Integrating clinical and administrative data will allow us to measure, benchmark, identify, and improve a wide range of clinical approaches to care.
The Partners eCare implementation and support organization is responsible for the design, development, implementation, and maintenance of Partners’ new clinical and administrative system. Additional responsibilities include: system training, supporting system upgrades, maintaining master files, communicating on-going Partners eCare changes, and overall improvement in clinical operations to support patient care quality and safety measures.
Why work for Partners eCare?
Help Partners improve care by:
- using a powerful new tool to improve the clinical care received by patients every day throughout Partners
- using this same new tool to improve clinical work processes and make them more efficient and reliable for Partners clinicians and patients
Break new ground by being on the ground floor of the:
- information systems revolution that is coming to Partners and to all of patient care in the next decade and beyond
- largest single project ever undertaken at Partners
Enhance your career by:
- getting free training in the use of the dominant electronic health information system (Epic) in the current market – training that will be transferable to other systems that will be coming along over the next decade
- earning competitive salaries and benefits
- learning to design clinical systems and workflows in the applications area of your interest
- learning to use a state of the art EHR to generate more powerful and informative reports to support the strategic aims and clinical care at Partners
Attributes of Partners eCare candidates
- Operational experience. Understand clinical workflow in their department and have the ability to understand and conceive new and different ways of doing work as well. Can apply both to design best practices that effectively use software.
- Independent. Can stay on task and manage their efforts to the project plan.
- Flexible and can thrive in the ebb and flow of the project. Priorities and resources will be shifted as needed. Schedule will be variable, particularly pre and post live.
- Someone looking for a change, a new challenge, or an opportunity to gain extremely marketable certifications and experience.
Work at Partners
There are career opportunities in finance, I.T., administration, research and clinical support areas at Partners HealthCare and across the Partners system.